English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a high quality hand-woven carpet In our warehouse you’ll find hundreds of carefully selected carpets imported directly from India, Iran and Afghanistan. Experts are on hand to answer your questions.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “opportunity” with “chance”?

(2.) What can be taken in place of “once-in-a-lifetime”?  “Special” or “unique”?

(3.) In the second sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “hand-woven” with “hand-made (fabricated)”  and “carefully selected” with “carefully chosen”?

(4.) What can be taken in place of “are on hand to….”?  “Are present to”, “are here to” or “are available to”?

Each carpet comes with a one-year guarantee against defects. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, your money will be refunded immediately. Monthly payments can be arranged. Take up to one year to pay. Don’t delay!. The sales end on March 30th.

(5.)In the second sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can get your money back immediately.”?

(6.)How can I combine the two sentences “Monthly payments can be arranged.“ and “Take up to one year to pay.” Into one?

“You can pay monthly installments for up to one year”?

People have always been obsessed with their appearance, and with the ________ of plastic surgery, we are now able to change almost any part of our bodies. However, this has resulted in a need for perfection. Over the past 20 years, many women have received breast implants. After a few years, some of the implants leaked, leading to numerous health problems.

(7.) What can be filled in the blank?  “introduction”, “benefits” or “high quality”?

(8.) In the second sentence, what is another way to say “has resulted in a need for perfection”?

(9.) In the next sentence, what can be taken in place of “received”? “Had” or what else?

(10.)What can be taken in place of “leaked” in the last sentence? “Came out”?

Furthermore, countless lawsuits have been filed around the world against doctors who have made mistakes during operations. To make matters worse, a new television program in the U.S. called Ultimate Makeover, is giving ordinary free plastic surgery. The results are incredible. More and more people are wishing that they, too, could have plastic surgery.

(11.)In the first sentences, may I say “countless charges have been brought around the world against doctors…”?  What is the difference?

(12.)In the last sentence, what is the difference if I change “could” to “can”?

Answer
1.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “opportunity” with “chance”? yes

(2.) What can be taken in place of “once-in-a-lifetime”?  “Special” or “unique”? either

Most if not all native speakers would use "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" in the sentence above, substitutions may not sound very natural.

(3.) In the second sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “hand-woven” with “hand-made (fabricated)”  and “carefully selected” with “carefully chosen”? yes even though I'd stick to selected.

(4.) What can be taken in place of “are on hand to….”?  “Are present to”, “are here to” or “are available to”? are here to or are available to.

(5.)In the second sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can get your money back immediately.”? yes

“You can pay using up to 12 monthly installments.” but I'd stick to the original.

(7.) What can be filled in the blank? help or convenience (maybe)

(8.) In the second sentence, what is another way to say “has resulted in a need for perfection”? has made some think everybody has to be perfect

(9.) In the next sentence, what can be taken in place of “received”? gotten

(10.)What can be taken in place of “leaked” in the last sentence? nothing in this case

(11.)In the first sentences, may I say “countless charges have been brought around the world against doctors…”?  What is the difference? none (I'd say surgery though instead of operations in that sentence)

(12.)In the last sentence, what is the difference if I change “could” to “can”? none really  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker