English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.The product will be marketed by Samsung in the United States and Europe.

What can be taken in place of “marketed”?  “Made available”, “sold” or “distributed”?

2. Waldman, who heads the company’s mobile devices unit, said web-enabled phones will play an important role in Microsoft’s future success.

What can be taken in place of “heads” and “unit”?

“Takes control of”, “is in charge of” and “department”?

3.Our facilities include luxury guest rooms, a tiered auditorium which seats up to 1,000.

What is another way to say “which seats up to 1,000”? “Which provides up to 1,000 seats”  or “which offers seating for up to 1,000 guests” ?

4.
With easy access to the Internet now, communicating with people from all around the world has become much more convenient.

Does it mean the same if I say, “with the availability of the Internet now, communicating…”?

5..Located in the heart of Taipei, the Taipei International Convention Center offers easy access to world class dining, museums and the scenic attractions of Taiwan.

Does it mean the same if I replace “dining” with “restaurants”?

6.I look it up in my dictionary when I encounter a new English word.

What can be taken in place of “run into”?  “run into”, “come across” ?

7.He has taken up with people who are bad influences on him.

(1.) What is another way to say “has taken up with”?  “Has associated with people who are bad influences on him”?

(2.) May I leave out “on you”?

8.
He fools around with his classmates all the time.
He used to fool around a lot when he was younger.

(1.)Does “fools around” in the first sentence have the same meaning as “fool around” in the second?

(2.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “fools around” with “plays around”?

9.
He has taken up with some strange people.
He has fooled around with some strange people.

Do both sentences have the same meaning? What is the difference?

Answer

What can be taken in place of “marketed”?  “Made available”, “sold” or “distributed”? Either if you really want to use a synonym.. I'd stick to marketed

What can be taken in place of “heads” and “unit”? is the head/boss of; and department

“Takes control of”, “is in charge of” and “department”? see above; is in charge is also a good option

What is another way to say “which seats up to 1,000”? “Which provides up to 1,000 seats”  or “which offers seating for up to 1,000 guests” ? the latter, but I'd stick to the original

4.

Does it mean the same if I say, “with the availability of the Internet now, communicating…”? yes

Does it mean the same if I replace “dining” with “restaurants”? yes

This should probably read "When I encounter a new English word I look it up in my dictionary." otherwise it sounds odd

What can be taken in place of “run into”?  “run into”, “come across” ? yes

(1.) What is another way to say “has taken up with”?  “Has associated with people who are bad influences on him”? yes

(2.) May I leave out “on you”? You mean on him? Yes you can leave it out.

8.

(1.)Does “fools around” in the first sentence have the same meaning as “fool around” in the second? yes

(2.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “fools around” with “plays around”?  yes

9.

Do both sentences have the same meaning? What is the difference? Same meaning  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker