English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
Being responsible is the key to being a good supervisor. The person acting as supervisor should take responsibility for any and all activities performed under him. There have been many cases in which the supervisor refuses to take full responsibility for improper actions that took place under his supervision.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is another way to say “is the key to”? “Being responsible is the most important aspect of being a good supervisor.”?

(2.)In the last sentence, may I change “the supervisor” to “a supervisor”? What is the difference?

2. I learned photography from my uncle when I was 10.

What is another way to say the sentence? “My uncle taught me how to take pictures when I was 10”?

3. I am a great cook and I am especially good at cooking Thai food. I learned how to cook myself by watching demonstrations on TV.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “I cook very well, especially Thai food.”?

(2.) In the second, may I say, “I was self taught by watching demonstrations on TV”?

4.When I am down, the first thing I do is to pray to God. When I pray, I am reminded how much he loves me and how many good things I have been given without paying anything. Then the words in the Bible comfort me and help me look at the things that depress me from a different point of view.

(1.)In the second sentence, may I say also, “…and how many good things I have been given for free”?

(2.)In the last sentence, may I replace “comfort” with “console” and replace “from a different point of view” with “from different aspect” or “differently”?

5.When I feel down, I usually force myself to go out for a drive, go to a movie or even meet friends for a meal. Doing these things helps me get rid of negative thoughts or emotions and, therefore, change my mood. Afterwards, I am relaxed and recharged, and feel confident in winning another battle in life.

(1.) What is another way to say “force myself to go out for a drive…’?

(2.) May I replace “winning another battle” with “tackling another challenge”?

6.As for hairstyle regulations in school, I am really for relaxing the rules. We should be able to look the way we want.

What is another way to say “I am really all for….”?

7.I bought myself a pair of sneakers and sports bag.

What can be taken in place of “sneakers”? “Sports shoes”?

8.Japan is full of excitement. There are well-designed scenic areas and you are able to find a lot of new stuff every time you go. Their creations and inventions always take me by surprise. In addition, Japan has great food.

What can be taken in place of “scenic areas”and “take me by surprise me”? “Surprise me” or what else?

Answer
1.

(1.) In the first sentence, what is another way to say “is the key to”? “Being responsible is the most important aspect of being a good supervisor.”? yes or "is paramount to"

(2.)In the last sentence, may I change “the supervisor” to “a supervisor”? What is the difference? You can change it, the meaning won't change in this case.

What is another way to say the sentence? “My uncle taught me how to take pictures when I was 10”? Yes, but in my opinion photography is more than just taking pictures.

(1.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “I cook very well, especially Thai food.”? Yes.

(2.) In the second, may I say, “I was self taught by watching demonstrations on TV”? I self taught (no "was")

(1.)In the second sentence, may I say also, “…and how many good things I have been given for free”? yes

(2.)In the last sentence, may I replace “comfort” with “console” yes
and replace “from a different point of view” with “from a different aspect” or “differently”? yes to both

(1.) What is another way to say “force myself to go out for a drive…’? force myself to drive around

(2.) May I replace “winning another battle” with “tackling another challenge”? yes

What is another way to say “I am really all for….”? I am in favor of

7.I bought myself a pair of sneakers and a sports bag.

What can be taken in place of “sneakers”? “Sports shoes”? yes, or

What can be taken in place of “scenic areas”and “take me by surprise me”? beautiful areas/places and
“Surprises me” or amazes me

~A

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker