English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.In this picture, there is a waiter serving three people at the round table. Behind them are some emitted light beams and even further away are tall trees and big houses. Judging by the beams and the dark background, I can tell they are probably having a dinner party and the event is taking place in a courtyard.

(1.) I wonder if should leave out “emitted” in the second sentence.
(2.) In the second sentence, may I say also, “Behind them are some light beams with tall trees and big houses on the background.”?

2.The three people, one man and two women, are sitting at the table. There are a bottle of wine and some glasses on the table. They are chatting and laughing while drinking wine.

(3.) In the third sentence, what is the difference if I say, “They are drinking wine while chatting and laughing”?

(4.) Can I combine the first two sentences into one? For example, “…are sitting at the table with a bottle of wine and some glasses”?

3.The people in the picture look happy. The man is talking and laughing with arms open while the two women are listening and looking at each other. Their merriness might be partially attributed to the wine they are drinking.

(5.) In the first sentence, may I replace “with arms open” with “with open arms”?

(6.) What is another way to say the last sentence? “They look happy partially because they are enjoying the wine”?

4. Both the women and the man are formally dressed. The woman with short curly hair has a flower on her hair. The woman with long curly hair is wearing a band (hair band) and an asymmetrical dress with a flower on her shoulder.

(7.) Does it mean the same if I replace “are formally dressed” with “dress up”?

(8.) Is it correct to say “asymmetrical dress”? I wonder if the phrase is commonly used.

5.
Being responsible is the key to being a good supervisor. The person acting as supervisor should take responsibility for any and all activities performed under him.
In the first sentence, may I say, “To be responsible is the key to be a good supervisor”or “Being responsible is the key to be a good supervisor”? What is the difference?

( 9.) In the first sentence, may I replace “a good supervisor” with “a good executive”? What is the difference?

6.
I am opposed to relaxing the rules. As a student, one should keep one’s appearance plain and focus more on studies instead of hairstyles and fashions.

(10.)   Is it correct to use “plain”in the second sentence or should I say “all the same”?

7.
I am interested in hair design, so, after I finish high school, I will go to a vocational school to become a hair stylist. I will learn hairdressing skills, get practical training, and achieve recognized qualifications before I graduate. Then I will apprentice with an experienced hair designer to gain more experience before I can start my own business. Eventually, I want to be the boss of a beauty salon to help customers get the best hair treatments. I want this to be my lifetime career, so I will keep my business going even after I get married and have children. I hope my future husband will support me to achieve my goals.

(11.)  In the next sentence, may I replace “eventually” with “finally”? What is the difference?

Answer

(1.) I wonder if should leave out “emitted” in the second sentence. I would
I'd say “Behind them are some light beams, as well as some tall trees and big houses in the background.”

(3.) In the third sentence, what is the difference if I say, “They are drinking wine while chatting and laughing”? none

(4.) Can I combine the first two sentences into one? For example, “…are sitting at the table with a bottle of wine and some glasses”? yes

(5.) In the first sentence, may I replace “with arms open” with “with open arms”? I'd say "with his arms open"

(6.) What is another way to say the last sentence? “They look happy partially because they are enjoying the wine”? I'd say probably instead of partially since you're making an assumption.

4. Both the women and the man are formally dressed. The woman with short curly hair has a flower IN her hair. The woman with long curly hair is wearing a band (hair band) and an asymmetrical dress with a flower on her shoulder.

(7.) Does it mean the same if I replace “are formally dressed” with “dressED up”? yes but I'd stick to formally dressed

(8.) Is it correct to say “asymmetrical dress”? I wonder if the phrase is commonly used. Yes, it's quite common

5.

( 9.) In the first sentence, may I replace “a good supervisor” with “a good executive”? What is the difference? depending on the context supervisor and executive can be synonyms but I'd stick to supervisor here.
Let me give you an example: Joe is the supervisor of the cleaning crew. You can't call Joe an executive...

6.

(10.)   Is it correct to use “plain”in the second sentence or should I say “all the same”? Plain is fine

7.

(11.)  In the next sentence, may I replace “eventually” with “finally”? What is the difference? You could, and it won't make a difference.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker