English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
When Jie woke up, it was already 7:30, so he decided to take a taxi lest he be late.

(1.)What is another way to say “…so he decided to take a taxi lest he be late”?  

“So he decided to take a taxi (for fear that / just in case that) he would be late” or “So he decided to take a taxi in order not to be late”?

(2.)If “lest” is used, may I say also, “..lest he might be/could be/should be/would be late”? Which one of these is correct?

2. Laws may ________ depending on the country.
Each state may have a different legal drinking age. This age __________ , but in most places in the States, no one under twenty can buy alcohol.

May I use “differ/vary” in the first sentence and “differs/varies” in the second? What is the difference?

3. It is important to memorize words when learning English. ________, make sure you can use them correctly in sentences.

Drive carefully on the freeway. ___________, don’t forget to call when you get there.

May I fill in the blank with “Above all” in each set of the sentences above?

4. I am in high spirits after the boss praises and rewards my work.

In the sentence, what is another way say “I am in high spirits”? “My spirits are high” or what else?

5. I arrived at the supermarket, only to find that I had left my wallet at home.

Does it mean the same if I say, “I arrived at the supermarket, but I found I had left my wallet at home.”?

6. I am out of my element when I have to speak in public.

Does it mean the same if I replace “out of my element” with “uncomfortable” or “ill at ease”?

7. I think my parents are behind the times because they don’t know how to
use the Internet or smartphones.

What is another way to say “behind the times”?  "Out of touch" or "in the dark ages"?

8. .The choice is very simply. Either you study hard, or you will fail your exams.

What is the difference if I say, “Unless you study hard, you will fail your exams”?

9. A man lost a finger after contact with a poisonous snake, even after/though its head was cut off.
(1.) In the sentence,  should I use “even after” or “even though”?

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “A man lost a finger after he was poisoned by a snake bite, even though the snake’s head had been cut off.”?

Answer
1.

“So he decided to take a taxi in order not to be late”?

(2.)If “lest” is used, may I say also, “..lest he might be/could be/should be/would be late”? Which one of these is correct? none of these is correct

May I use “differ/vary” in the first sentence and “differs/varies” in the second? What is the difference? Yes you can. No difference

May I fill in the blank with “Above all” in each set of the sentences above? yes

In the sentence, what is another way say “I am in high spirits”? “My spirits are high” or what else? I'm happy, I'm elated, I'm extatic

Does it mean the same if I say, “I arrived at the supermarket, but I found I had left my wallet at home.”? yes

Does it mean the same if I replace “out of my element” with “uncomfortable” or “ill at ease”? yes

7. I think my parents are behind the times because they don’t know how to use the Internet or smartphones.

What is another way to say “behind the times”?  "Out of touch" or "in the dark ages"? Out of touch may not be the best option her but the other two are OK, also "outdated" works

What is the difference if I say, “Unless you study hard, you will fail your exams”? no significant difference

(1.) In the sentence,  should I use “even after” or “even though”? even though

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “A man lost a finger after he was poisoned by a snake bite, even though the snake’s head had been cut off.”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker