English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
The game was close and it was drawn at last.

Does it mean the same if I say, “The game was close and the score was a tie at last.” , “The game was close and the score was tied at last.” or “The game was close and it was a draw at last.”?

2. I am ill at ease in a suit. I am more comfortable wearing jeans.

What is another way to say “am ill at ease in a suit”?

“I am out of my element in a suit.” or “I am uncomfortable in a suit.”?

3.
According to a report by two doctors, 15% patients that have treated for a snake bite were bitten by snakes which they thought were dead.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “have treated for”?
(2.) In the sentence, should I say, “…for a snake bite”, “for a snakebite” or “for snakebite”?

4.
Freshly-killed snakes still bite and even having chopped off the head of a poisonous snake, it may remain harmful.

I wonder if the second sentence grammatically correct?
Should I say, “…even after having its head chopped off, a poisonous snake may remain harmful”?

5. He felt totally at a loss about how to proceed with the application.
  He was at a loss about what to do with the computer that was having problems.

Should I leave out “about” in each of the sentences?

6. Bats, the world’s only flying mammals, had long been considered a species of birds before they were classified as mammals.

What can be taken in place of “a species of birds” and “classified”?  “a type of birds” and “identified”?

7. While flying, bats emit high-frequency sonic pulses which hit everything around them and then bounce back.

What can be taken in place of “emit” and “pulses”?  “Send” and “waves”?

8. Echolocation can be used not only to find food, but also to navigate. In addition to their ability to perceive the distance between themselves and the objects around them, they can also sense size, shape, direction and motion.

(1.)In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “navigate”? “Find a location” or “fly”?

(2.)In the second sentence, what can be taken in place of “perceive” and “sense”?

“Estimate” or “detect” and “feel “ and “find”?

9. GPS is used to navigate the driver, and to avoid delays caused by heavy traffic zones.

What can be taken in place of “navigate”? “Guide” or “direct”?

10. The pilot is navigating the plane through a storm.
   The driver is navigating the car in the parking lot.

What can be taken in place of “navigating” in each of sentences?

“Cruising” and “maneuvering”?

Answer
  1.

Does it mean the same if I say, “The game was close and the score was a tie at last.” , “The game was close and the score was tied at last.” or “The game was close and it was a draw at last.”? yes but I'd say "in the end" instead of "at last"

“I am out of my element in a suit.” or “I am uncomfortable in a suit.”? either one

3.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “have treated for”? have received treatment for
(2.) In the sentence, should I say, “…for a snake bite”, “for a snakebite” or “for snakebite”? I'd say "for snakebites"

4.

I wonder if the second sentence grammatically correct? doesn't sound right to me

Recently killed snakes still bite and even after having their heads chopped off they may remain harmful.

Should I leave out “about” in each of the sentences? You should replace it with "as to"

He felt at a loss as to how to proceed..

What can be taken in place of “a species of birds” and “classified”?  “a type of birds” and “categorized"

What can be taken in place of “emit” and “pulses”?  generate for emit and; “waves” works for "pulses"

(1.)In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “navigate”? “Find a location” or “fly”? I guess "fly" here but I'd stick to "navigate"

I'd say estimate and appreciate

“Estimate” or “detect” and “feel “ and “find”? see above

What can be taken in place of “navigate”? “Guide” or “direct”? Guide

“Cruising” and “maneuvering”? I'd use flying in the first and maneuvering in the 2nd

Hope this helps, Wei

Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker