English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. Last Sunday, I had a date with my boyfriend, Nick, and we went to see the movie Harry Potter. I arrived at the theater at 12:25 P.M. Since the movie was so popular, it took me almost twenty minutes to get the tickets. By 12:55 P.M., Nick still had not shown up and I began to worry about him. Finally, at 1:2O P.M., my dear boyfriend showed up looking as if he had just come back from a battle!

(1.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went out to see the movie Harry Potter.” or “Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went to the movie Harry Potter.” or "Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went on a date to see the movie Harry Potter."?

(2.)In the third sentence, may I leave out “since” and say, “The movie was so popular (that) it took me almost twenty minutes to get the tickets.”?

(3.) In the next sentence, may I say also, “ Nick still didn’t show up until 12:55 P.M., so I began to worry about him.”or “It was already 12:55 P.M. and Nick still didn’t show up, so I began to worry about him.”?

(4.)In the last sentence, what can be taken in place of "showed up" and “looking as if….”?

(5.)What does “…had just come back from a battle”imply?  “…Had just been defeated or lost in a battle”?

2. (To be continued)

He told me that his car had broken down on the way there and his cell phone battery had run out, so he could not have called me. Nonetheless, we still went into the theater to watch the movie. Although we missed the first 25 minutes of the movie, we still enjoyed the movie very much.

(1.)In the first sentence, what is another way to say “His cell phone battery had run out”? “His cell phone had been dead”or what else?

(2.)In the first sentence, should I say, “So he couldn’t call me” or “so he wasn’t able to call me”?

(3.) In the second sentence, what can be taken in place of “Nonetheless”? “Even so” , “however”or “Nevertheless”?

(4.)In the second sentence, should I change “watch” to “see”?

(5.)In the last sentence, may I say, “Although we were 25 minutes late for the movie, we still….”?

Answer

(1.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went out to see the movie Harry Potter.” or “Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went to the movie Harry Potter.” or "Last night, my boyfriend, Nick, and I went on a date to see the movie Harry Potter."? either one of those is fine.

(2.)In the third sentence, may I leave out “since” and say, “The movie was so popular that it took me almost twenty minutes to get the tickets.”? yes

(3.) In the next sentence, may I say also, “ Nick still didn’t show up until 12:55 P.M., so I began to worry about him.”or “It was already 12:55 P.M. and Nick still didn’t show up, so I began to worry about him.”? yes but "Nick sill hadn't shown up"

(4.)In the last sentence, what can be taken in place of "showed up" and “looking as if….”? "came" and sick to "looking as if" no alternatives come to mind

It simply implies that he was involved in a fight

2. (To be continued)

(1.)In the first sentence, what is another way to say “His cell phone battery had run out”? “His cell phone had been dead”or what else? "his cell battery had drained" but that would sound odd.

(2.)In the first sentence, should I say, “So he couldn’t call me” or “so he wasn’t able to call me”? I\d say "he was unable/wasn't able to call"

(3.) In the second sentence, what can be taken in place of “Nonetheless”? “Even so” , “however”or “Nevertheless”? either one or "regardless"

(4.)In the second sentence, should I change “watch” to “see”? I'd stick to watch. We say "watch a movie".

(5.)In the last sentence, may I say, “Although we were 25 minutes late for the movie, we still….”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker