English as a Second Language/"It"

Question
Hello Amy,
here is tough one for me. I don't know for sure what "it" is referring to in the sentence, "So it was under the Law precisely as now under Grace."

I'm guessing "it" is referring to:

(1) "faith", in the preceding sentence; or

(2) "works", in the preceding sentence; or

(3) "curse", in the first sentence; or

(4) "justified", which is a reference to the doctrine of justification (of sins); or

(5) other.

Thanks!

*BEGIN*
Then as regards the statement often heard in these days, that those who were under the law were under a curse, what Paul says is that "as many, as are of the works of the law are under the curse" (Gal. 3:10) which is quite another thing. For Paul is here remonstrating with those who were relying for their salvation upon the rites and ceremonies (the "works") of the law, upon circumcision, keeping of days and the like. "A man," he says, "is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ" (Gal. 2:16). So it was under the Law precisely as now under Grace. And it should not be necessary to say that a man can no more be saved by christian rites and observances (baptism, the Lord's supper, keeping holy days etc.) than by those of Judaism. So the apostle declared in another place, saying, that "Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore?" (Was it because righteousness was unattainable by the law? Not at all; but) "Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of
the law" (Rom. 11:7); and as we have seen from the word of Christ Himself, faith is one of "the weightier matters of the law"; and of course no amount of "the works of the law" will serve instead.
*END*

Answer
I'm going to guess you're trying to give me a refresher course on religion here Henrique :)

Sorry but I'm going to have to pass this time as I have no clue what "it" in that sentence refers to. Unfortunately this is too ambiguous to even try to guess.

Not sure if there is another expert available now in the ESL category that you may consult with, but if there is, maybe they can help.

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker