Entomology (Study of Bugs)/White maggot looking worms falling from tree

RC wrote at 2008-05-08 23:05:31
This morning I walked out to my car and thought there was some sort of pollen falling on my car. Closer inspection revealed very small white worms that would seem to jump occasionally. They looked exactly like the ones in the picture and there were hundreds of them. I don't think they are thrips because they don't have wings or legs. They were not flying...just raining down from the Oak tree in my front yard. I live in Omaha if that helps - I'd like to know what these are and if I need to do anything about them.

Steve wrote at 2013-10-05 16:09:54
I have experienced the same thing. They dont fly and they dont have wings, and they dont look like any thrip i have ever seen unless it is in a larval stage.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.