Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bugs on my ceiling

vinyl republic wrote at 2008-09-08 21:56:48
I found exactly this on my ceiling this morning it was gross .my camera couldnt take as clear of picture but I thought it was mold.when I relized it was moving I sprayed the area with bleach wiped it off. I ended up wiping the popcorn texture off with it right to cardboard of the dry-wall whooops.

JAIME VILLEGAS wrote at 2013-08-04 15:16:25
I live in South Georgia, I am experiancing the same thing. When I loked up I thought I was seeing a bunch of tiny black ants on my wall. As i got a chair to look closer, they were little extremly tiny black worms. They moved like worms in an up and down motion. I am in aww because I have never seen worms as tiny as these. They too were in a group as big a a quarter. I really want to know what they are.

Dawn wrote at 2013-09-20 21:29:46
I am in the uk and have just found exactly the same on my kids ceiling.  I have a very clear picture of the caterpillar like bugs if it helps? Are they definitely moths then?

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.