Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Hopping spider cricket

Jaegermztr wrote at 2008-09-17 03:19:15
I had a huge problem with these crickets.  My house i live in at college wound up having probably fifty to a hundred Camel crickets in the basement area of the home which i just use for storage.  they were everywhere.  I went to lowe's and got Mess Free smoke bombs.  I set one up per directions, and the next day, they were all dead!  I had been having problems with these crickets but never to that extent before, for the house had been empty for 4 months.  Since then, i have seen one.  It has been about 3 weeks since i bombed the basement.  Hope this helps.  

Mary wrote at 2012-01-11 19:40:00
can anyone tell me if a dog eats one of these spiders will it hurt them?

Augest West wrote at 2013-06-12 11:21:15
I have been seeing these now for only three years in central jersey. never before. Where did they come from. I think they are coming in through the plumbing being we are in a mobile home. MY CAT KILLS THEM AS HE SHOULD so I will not used any spray or pay for extermination if they are basically harmless.

They are a bit scary until you know what they are, At first glance I said cricket, Second WT? than looked them up. But again why all of a sudden?

bug hater wrote at 2013-11-16 19:59:59
I've seen about four to six of these in the past few weeks for the first time ever; and I'm not happy about it.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.