Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black insect with scorpion-like tail

dga in DeKalb wrote at 2008-09-02 23:59:23
I live in norther Illinois and had the same type of bug it almost looked like a feather flat but definitly looked like a scorpion when they were walking or running. I have seen them in the basement and when we first moved in they were as big as 2 inches long. Someone told me to keep our fire wood and wood chips away from the house and since we moved the wood chips farther out and store the wood away we don't get as many but once in a while I'll find them but they are much smaller now.

dga in DeKalb

Pam wrote at 2008-09-09 10:59:44
I saw one of these yesterday also. It was the exact same description and was flat until I went near it and then the tail curled up with a little white tip at the end of it. It also had scorpion-like fangs turning inwards.

Never seen anything like this before in Ireland!!!! Any ideas what is could be cos it definately aint a centipede!

Bman wrote at 2011-04-12 22:14:28
It may be a silverfish. Thats what we call them in South Florida. Silverish kinda Clear looking. I dont remember u mentioning a color. If it is black than we are looking to identify the same bug. Good Luck.

Whispergirl77 wrote at 2012-06-12 05:17:18
I just saw one too. It landed on my shoulder with a thumb like quality, maybe it dropped on me. It is not a silverfish, or a centipede or an inceumon (spelled wrong-I know) This thing was weird. Never seen anything like it before. Also, it has these thick things on the back legs (which it only has six)Shiny black body with fly wings. Looks to small to be able to fly with them. I smacked it off so I may have hurt it, but it's tail seemed to be curling under and flicking back and forth. It totally grossed me out!

Stacious mak wrote at 2012-08-18 08:39:07
I'm in Starke fl and I just saw a black bug with a scarpian tail. I'm freaked out!!!  

fabkirk wrote at 2013-10-03 23:26:58
Devils coach horse beetle. Check him out. He's your guy. Scary thing is, he can fly too, but rarely does. Not a nice discovery,but brought a certain Wow factor to my 7 year olds at school!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Sue Kayton

Silkworm expert. Have raised them as a hobby for 20 years. I do not identify unknown insects.