Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Huge beetle like bug with pinchers

Amy / WVa wrote at 2011-02-11 10:47:05
Thanks for the answer...I found one right outside my work today while on a cigarette break but I guess it was too cold out for it cause it was already dead...but I was just curious of what it was cause I have never seen this type of beetle either. So thanks for the answer.

mjones1028 wrote at 2011-07-07 16:41:30
I live in north eastern ohio and have seen these for the past couple years.  if you put something in front of them, they will pinch it!

Carletta wrote at 2011-07-09 02:42:44
I also live in central Kentucky and found one of these giant beetles in my daughters room this morning. I was alarmed so glad to know its harmless thku.....

Elaine wrote at 2014-10-20 16:38:03
I found one in parking lot next to my car. The absolutely most creepy, bug I ever seen! Just like your picture w/pencil, a woman put her next to it, so I could get a picture w/ my phone.  There were a lot of grass plants, small tress about 6ft. away, pretty landscape.  I don't that beauty if it can attach the biggest, scary bug ever! The location is Elizabethtown, Kentucky.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.