Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny round shiny black or deep red, head of pin sized

andolina wrote at 2008-10-08 06:15:05
I have this exact same insect rolling around in my bedroom.  They are fairly small and round and seen with the naked eye it almost doesn't move and one cannot see their legs.  They are just round and small.  Brownish to black color and they bite but when crushed you can feel the crunch so I suppose their shells are hard.  

teresa wrote at 2009-03-30 16:29:02
I found these same type of beetles in my guest room.  When I crushed one it did pop like it does have a hard shell.  Upon further inspection I found under my doll case which is in the room, dried cat food...My cat must have brought it in at one time.  Well needless to say they were coming from this dried cat food which was slightly covered in a dust webbing.  It was clear that they had grown from this...probably due to the grain.  They were buried in the dust as well under this case.  I am thinking that the dust could also be a home for these beetles and quickly began eliminating the dust in my home!!  I have not seen them since.

weltenwanderer.net wrote at 2010-03-29 07:04:30
Dear Trisha, dear Eric,

I just had the same problem with one of my dogs and looked around for an answer. I've read so many threads, where the description is the same and it was frustrating, because all the people were talking about the same little bugs and all the answers were about tick and flee shampoo. So I took a picture of these bugs. (At first I thought, they were to small for my camera.) But for everyone who is looking for this problem in the future - I'm pretty sure I've the answer. The problem is, I can't upload an image here, otherwise I'd do. I couldn't believe it, but:

They are just ticks. The zoom showed it very clearly. The most little, tiniest ticks (0.5-1mm) I've ever seen. So I don't like to say it, but backline your dog or use tick shampoo.

And Eric - you are right. There are more than 10 million insects and we just have described 1 million - so if there is room for it, I'd like to call this species after my dog "prickle ticks".

yours

Tom

Perplexed wrote at 2010-04-16 15:42:24
I too have had the same type of bug. Yes they are harmful.  They bite the skin and leave excursiating painfull, itchy bites.  I don't know what they are either. I have even covered all my furniture in plastic, they still keep surviving. I have been trying to catch one alive to take to an entomologist.

Rich wrote at 2010-07-06 17:15:43
Hello Tricia,

Were you ever able to determine the type of bug this was?

We have a similar infestation at our house and I was able to confirm that our dog was being bitten by them. We don't know if the bugs were born on her or if she brought them in and then were born here in the house.

Thank.

Rich...

jim_hoerner wrote at 2010-08-26 23:51:37
They are baby ticks.  Have seen the same thing falling off my cat recently.  They crawl if held in your hand.  If you look closely, you can see the typical tiny tick legs.  Ours are engorged like yours - we collected some in a plastic bag, and they pop like you describe (gross! :-))

jim_hoerner wrote at 2010-08-27 00:17:03
See http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Study-Bugs-665/2008/7/tiny-black-bugs-9.ht

Best regards,

Jim

tiffany howarth wrote at 2014-04-03 13:08:05
I have found the exactly same bug in my room but because I'm sacred of insects and stuff I won't squish them I pick them up using tissue and I flush them down the toilet what the hell are they  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton