Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Worm/Leech looking creatures in my shower!

bh wrote at 2010-03-10 07:52:49
We have the same thing in our shower and I want to know what they are and where they are coming from.  They are not moth fly larva or soldier fly larva.  It definitely looks like leeches.  They are very small.  The smallest are white and the larger black.  It looks like the are hatching somewhere close.

Gretch wrote at 2012-07-24 02:26:23
Did you ever find out what they were? We are having the same issue.

Showerscare wrote at 2015-05-04 00:27:57
No, it doesn't look like that! I had one in my shower too, today! It's not drain fly larvae, nor soldier fly larvae. It looks identical to a leech, except completely symmetrical, unlike a leech, which leeches have a larger head. Please, somebody tell us what these are!!  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.