Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification... queen ant?

Betty wrote at 2010-03-15 20:08:35
I Googled "oil beetle" and that seemed to pull up the most images that look like this bug. I too at first thought it was a queen ant.

Hope that helps.

Christian wrote at 2010-05-13 19:12:23
Actually, its not a Rove beetle, but an Oil Beetle, Meloe impressus.  They are actually more related to Blister Beetles than Rove beetles, since their rears are big (like a blister).  the ant-shaped head and similar body traits to the rove beetle tend to throw people off.  Even the bug guide has mis-identified it in this section.  

Here it is in the proper spot- http://bugguide.net/node/view/93958/bgpage

Reex wrote at 2011-08-04 22:22:37
I live in northern New Mexico and also encountered one of these insects recently. I do not believe it is a beetle as the abdomen is much larger than the wing structure, so much so as to render the wings useless. Also, the abdomen is composed of a much softer tissue than the rest of the exoskeleton, almost like flesh, which discredits the claim of it being a beetle because a beetle's second set of wings is rigid and are used to protect the flexible first set. The head, antennae, mandibles, thorax and tarsals also are identical to a common black ant except that they are much larger. The abdomen resembles an ant's although it is much larger. Another interesting thing I noted is that I could not locate either a functioning compound or simple eye. The area of the head where the compound eye is usually located is shaped like a compound eye but is smooth and composed of the same type of tissue as the rest of the head. I am not sure of the identity of this insect but suspect it is some type of ant morphology.  

bug lady wrote at 2011-10-13 16:16:23
This is actually an American Oil Beetle.  See link for more details. http://www.nypestpro.com/americanoilbeetle.html

MadManApothecary wrote at 2011-11-28 18:53:54
It's an oil beetle, they are in the same genus as blister beetles and can blister your skin causing swelling and pain.  Read about the hemolymph, its crazy blue-green blood.

Paul wrote at 2012-03-25 18:42:57
Hello,

I found one of this same bug and thought it to be a queen ant as well.  When I found this page I looked into the rove beetles.  Although the rove beetle is a close match it certainly isn't the bug I found nor the one in your picture. My own research suggests that it's an oil beetle (Meloe Impressus, male). http://bugguide.net/node/view/31688

litfa joana wrote at 2012-04-01 21:53:52
me and my friend were on a hike and we found a bug just like yours only ours has a florescent butt and we did some research and found out it is a blister beetle we worn you not to touch it or let a animal eat it or else the animal will die and the human will break out in blisters if you have touched it see a doctor as soon as possible  

CAANDY wrote at 2013-10-20 23:59:38
I know this is terribly old. But  I think that may be a violet oil beetle, a type of blister beetle. :)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jody Gangloff-Kaufmann