Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Parasite found on indoor cat, not the usual

Jules wrote at 2009-10-20 02:58:05
I was very happy to see this post as I am experiencing an identical situation. We found these hair-like creatures on a table cloth where my cat had been lounging during the day--and there were hundreds of them. My cat is also scratching like crazy and losing chunks of hair, which is unusual. It would be great to find a solution to his misery!

janlouw wrote at 2009-12-07 20:43:27
I also have found one or two on my cat but cannot find anything on it. I managed to take a photo of it showing the basic shape of it. Where can I send the photo?

Jan

didusaysumthin2me wrote at 2010-12-11 13:57:04
I just recently had an indoor cat with this same thing!  It turned out to be flea dirt... if you put a drop of water on the parasite looking thing it turns into a murky reddish brown liquid.  I was weirded out by it too and spent $200plus for a vet to tell me to go to the petstore and get some frontline.  

LIN wrote at 2011-08-26 13:38:13
I HAVE JUST COMBED MY CAT PRIOR TO TREATING HIM WITH FLEA DROPS - I WAS HORRIFIED TO SEE (I DID THIS IN THE BATH) DOZENS OF TINY STRING LIKE CREATURES WRIGLING AROUND IN THE INCH OF WATER IN THE BATH ALONG WITH SEVERAL FLEAS. i HAVE TREATED THE CAT BEFORE FOR FLEAS - A NORMAL PART OF OWNING A CAT THESE DAYS = BUT HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THESE BEFORE. BY THE WAY SHE IS AN INDOOR CAT

stara wrote at 2012-07-08 20:27:34
I have exactly the same thing on my two cats - thanks so much for the answer! Must indeed be flea larvae.

I treated my cats this month, but I didn't treat the house - so I guess the larvae have hatched in the different places they sleep (they were found on a spare bed).  

Nicole wrote at 2013-02-15 09:56:46
These are not flea larvae nor are they flea eggs. There is an unusal condition that is occurring throughout the United Staes and Europe. This parasite is extremely hard to get rid of and has several morphological forms. The ccharacteristc symptoms are sand like crystals emerging from skin and hair follicles in several colors, fibers of several colors extruded through pores as well as hair follicles. These can be clear, bluem red, pink and black. There are also many cases of coinfections with other arthropods and parasites. It presents itself with horrible crawling, biting, itching sensations as well as open sores refuse to heal. These sores weep and shed fibers and crystals. This also causes neurologic symptoms as well as many other symptoms. It has been coined Morgellons Disease and until recently was denied by science and mainstream medicine. As of late however there is more research into this unusual condition and there are various remedies and treatment protocols.This may sound like fiction but I am involved in researching this and it is a reality. If anyone has any questions or would like to share their stories or submit samples for analysis I would love to hear from you. You can email me at pine.nicole at yahoo dot com Thank you. Nicole

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs