Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small oval winged insect found in bed

Sandra wrote at 2012-11-23 17:54:22
I have the exact same problem. I see them, like once or twice a month, when I wake up in the morning they are next to me, and you can imagine the episode that goes on when I realize I have been sleeping with a bug. Tiny, yes and can be easily confused for a piece of dry dirt. I dont believe they bite, but Fran's description is perfect. I also live in Chicago, IL. One thing that might help, is knowing that this bug has a very sleek shell. There are no legs or body parts visible unless you flip it over. The wings are not always visible. They only flap out if the bug is shaken or flipped, almost as if it was trying to fly but wasn't able to. The worst part is that nobody knows what this bug is, and it is literally one of the most disgusting things in my home. It doesn't seem to bite, but you  never know. I frequently blow symptoms off. Please, somebody help with this.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.