Entomology (Study of Bugs)/recurring necrosis -different spots

kfink wrote at 2009-07-13 17:12:03
Mitch,

I was bit in the summer of 1990, when I was 17, on my back near the right shoulder blade.  I live in CT.  I grew up in MS, moving to CT in 1987.   My parents took me to the pediatrician right away.  Same answer - We don't have those spiders in NE.  Well, I think that unless we brought that spider with us when we moved 3 1/2 years before, then I think we do have BRS in NE.  The doctors were very against any 'cutting' of the flesh, just let it run its course with meds.  I had all the symptoms, including the streaks that indicate blood poisoning radiating from the bite. It took time, but ran its course.   The final ulceration was slightly larger than a 50 cent piece, but real deep.  To this day I am still intrigued about what happened to me.  The more I read about the bites, the more I find the recurring thing happening to people.  It has been almost 20 years for me with no recurrence, but it seems like it has mostly happened with the folks where it got into their bone, or when doctors 'cut'.  Although I will say that everyone's body and system is different.  No medical background here, but experience and lots of reading.

Regina wrote at 2011-02-22 15:34:24
I have pretty much the same issue as you.  While in Germany, 28 years ago, I was diagnosed with a brown recluse spider bite.  We did have them there.  The sore returned every three months for quite some years, and then it gradually became less often and not as bad.  Now it rarely occurs, but it just did this past week, and it is back with a vengeance.  No one has been able to help me either.  It starts as little hard bumps, which eventually fill with fluid. I drain them with a sterilized needle, keep it covered, and it usually goes away within a few days.

jerseygirl wrote at 2012-08-23 00:07:36
I have had the same thing happen to me! I couldn't believe a spider was biting me in the same exact spot either! My doctor usualy prescribes an anti-biotic. Also, it happens every year in the same month, August. At least now I know I'm not crazy! I live in GA, so a spider bite is not out of the question. Thanks for posting!

Gary wrote at 2013-06-14 21:25:40
I have the exact same issue. About a year ago I was supposedly bitten by a brown recluse spider. So far, about every 3-4 months I have a recurring painful outbreak in the same exact spot. Not as severe as the original bite but still very painful. It went away the last time and I'm in the middle of another outbreak right now. Very strange indeed. Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated. My doctor is stumped and nobody else has ever heard of spider bites recurring.

Marie wrote at 2016-08-21 17:39:55
I was bitten by a Brown Recluse over 20 years ago in Texas. I actually had the spider to take to the hospital. I still have recurrent flare ups in the area I was bitten. Sometimes it's once a year, twice a year, or sometimes it may be as long as 2 years but no longer.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz