Entomology (Study of Bugs)/ID worm / grub with stinger

Gerber wrote at 2012-09-01 21:16:34
Yeah i found the same kind but it was 3ft under a pond

Texas Girl wrote at 2014-04-04 18:37:31
I also dug up this worm except that I held it tightly in my hand and continued to dig for additional worms (grubs)  I thought it was an immature Grub that hadn't gotten a complete head and was going to feed it to my Bluebirds.  Suddenly, I experienced an intense pain shoot up my arm and realized it must have been the worm I was clinching.  I live in Spring, Tx and not uncommon for me to work without gloves especially since as a child we dug up grubs but this time I wished I had.  After much research and a tip from a friend that led me to this site I think we saw the same worm.  If correct, it is a Parasitic Wasp Larvae and I can only figure it stung me. I took photos also, I was concerned I could have an adverse reaction to it. My photo is more clear than yours and that pointed end led the way as it crawled. I will be wearing gloves from here out - it really did sting, and my finger swelled. This is day 4 and I can still feel it.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.