Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny bugs in kitchen

D Cannady wrote at 2010-05-06 08:00:33
I had these exact same bugs, they look like pepper and I found them all in the bottom pantry in all the chips bags, cereal, oatmeal, etc boxes.  Once I cleaned and threw all of it away with them I sprayed the cupboard down with lysol?bleach spray and left they cupboard empty for a month and kept checking back for them and they never came back.  I dont know if bought something from the grocery store with them or what, but once I found the source which was all my dry foods they infested and got rid of it and cleaned/disinfected everything, we were rid of those pesty bugs.

gman wrote at 2011-02-22 07:54:29
Here's an image of what I found in my cupboard tonight - a number of these living in my cereal bag and my dry foods..

francine moore wrote at 2011-12-31 05:29:28
I have had this problem for months, it started near the middle of summer, the bugs were in my window seal, cabinets, and dry goods. I did get bug spray and emptied the cabinets, sprayed and left empty for over a month. The bugs got better, in some places they left, but on my kitchen counters they continue to come back. I will buy some of the spray recommended, glad I finally thought of looking it up. Thanks for the input.

eyez1967 wrote at 2012-01-26 19:26:53
I have the same looking bugs in my kitchen. They are only in one cupboard and one counter top. I don't understand why they arenn't everywhere.  I don't have any food in the cupboard they are in. They drive me nuts!

Jacey wrote at 2012-04-11 04:22:29
I have the same bug :s in my kitchen exterminator came twice and I'm such a clean freak they are backand I found some upstairs in my bathroom n kitchen!!!!! Did you find out what exactly this beetle is? I'm so fusterated with this bug

Julie wrote at 2012-04-15 03:40:13
Thank you Walter!  Thank you for knowing so much and taking the time to answer this question.  We found these in my daughter's bedroom infesting the carpeting.  We assume they are from the mouse food which gets sprinkled often making the trip from the shelf to the cage. (Or the horse treats that sit on the floor). I am so thankful they are not fleas from the mice or the dog or bed bugs!  We've sprayed twice, but now that I know what to get I am more confident we'll get rid of them once and for all.

Janine wrote at 2012-11-19 17:32:21

I get these bugs too in my kitchen cupboards, window sills and crawling up my walls. They seem to be attracted to the free standing lamp I have in my lounge.

They only ever seem to come in the winter - as soon as my central heating is on - I havent seen one all summer!

Anyone know how to get rid of them as they are driving me crazy.

JJ wrote at 2013-02-17 00:19:37
Hi Walter,

Is there a brand of pyrethrum based spray you recommend. I see a lot of pyrethrin sprays.

Thanks in advance,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ