Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Chiggers Indoors?

BG wrote at 2011-07-06 12:38:41
I disagree.  Chiggers definitely WILL set up housekeeping indoors.  I'm in a house surrounded by woods/fields in upstate New York and every year chiggers enter the house and bite me for about two weeks around July 4.  I'm certain they enter through window screens and door cracks.

Dmi wrote at 2013-01-28 05:11:14
You are totally correct regardless what any expert will tell you,,chiggers will set up camp in your house and basically never leave..chiggers eat dead skin cells from clothe and bedding,,thier biting little larvae which are born in stock piles, then attach to you,,sometimes for days....to prove my theory they specially love any black electrical items ,,well any thing black really. Larvae are hard to see so get a black sheet of paper shake ur bedding or pillow, u should see tiny micro white dots...for adult chiggs get a white tissue and wipe a black item and u should see red little dots (no not bedbugs),,wanna get more technical get a magnifying glass.. I though it was my beddking and it turned out I found a computer cpu outside,,after months I noticed I would itch more when using the comp,,so I kinda just stared real close in the light at the same spot and discovered millions of little dots like pin head size....homes are better for the,  unlimited dead skin cells to supply adult chigs who then have hundreds of larvae who suck on u to become adults and so one the circle goes on by time noticed there was no where they was not in the house 3 years and counting....oh they eat roach waste to..the adults can spin webs which in the light have dozens of larvae strolling the web ( lol strolling the web)....oh I have a microscope for the experts

Kl wrote at 2013-08-19 12:14:41
I thought so.  I live in northern calif near a forest I was cleaning inside window tracts and got this rash and bites on my hands. It cleared up in a couple days but then I went back to clean the other two window tracts and BAM same thing happened.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.