Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mysterious holes/bugs! Sanity at stake!

Karen wrote at 2009-09-13 05:31:24
Check out the photo of a tiger beetle photo at:  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/28327997

Looks very like yours!

Syphercell wrote at 2010-05-07 01:13:22
Hi...so first of all you are not crazy! What you are dealing with is actually a Beetle Larvae. They have a dark black or brown head with pincher's at the front and three sets of legs behind the head. Their body is long and white or yellow and looks just like a larvae body does, yet much longer. They can be approximately 1 to even 2 inches long. They dig holes deep enough to feed off of the plant seeds, roots and stems around the hole, which will in turn start to cause the grass to wilt and die eventually. When I was young I used to see these holes everywhere and wondered what they were. Well I guess being so curious as most youngsters are, I figured out how to catch them. Now I know this will sound crazy but it works. You simply take a long blade of grass and stick it in the hole as far down as it will go. Make sure it is long enough to have about 4 to 5 inches left sticking out of the hole. To your surprise the blade of grass will start to wiggle and begin rising out of the hole. This is the larvae grabbing it and pushing it out of his hole, because you have invaded his turf. Once it has moved up out of the hole about an inch or so, grab the blade of grass fast and yank the entire thing out of the hole quickly. Be Cautious...when doing so you will have a little friend come flying out of the hole and onto the ground. This is the Beetle Larvae. You must do it quickly otherwise he will let go. Don't get disheartened if you don't pull it off the first time, just keep trying, and you'll get it. You can now examine him and do whatever you choose to with him, I just usually put them back in their holes. As in terms of getting rid of them, I am no expert, but hopefully this will help you keep your sanity, although you will look a little crazy doing this. Lol.

Kristen wrote at 2010-07-23 00:07:32
I have this same problem!!!!  I don't have a clue what they are. Someone told me they might be locusts. I was unhappy to hear this because they said that they are VERY hard to get rid of. I'm not 100% sure this is your mystery bug but I feel your pain and cannot stand all these holes in my mulch!

Kristen wrote at 2010-07-23 00:07:54

Dawn Boddy wrote at 2011-04-25 17:53:04
Hi Kelly, I am no expert so this may not pass REx (lol) and I now realize your post is a couple years old HOWEVER.... I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your story!! It made me laugh. I thought I was the only nut out there willing to admit doing these things!! I came across this post while researching a pest of my own and thought I would share...

"antlion (Neuroptera). These insects construct a mound of sand that look like an ant hill except it has a cone shaped hole at the top. The antlion sits at the bottom and catches anything the drops into the cone. They are harmless."

I know this isn't exactly what you were describing but thought it could spark new Ideas... Also, Now I just HAVE TO KNOW... Did you figure this out?

colleen wrote at 2013-06-05 15:29:33
Omg these lil "creatures" have become my temporary new obsession! And its so funny that u all felt "crazy" cuz i did 2 when i 1st saw them.But my experience has been, when i put something in the hole (even a straw mind u) it knocked it completely out!I live in NC so these lil boogers are apparently everywhere. And even though they look a lil creepy, their quite interesting. I also find they seem to like the sun and they surface to the top more at night. Some are a lil more skittish than others, in one hole they'll jet back down but in other holes they'll stay on top when your near it.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz