Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery mouse parasite.

The King wrote at 2011-07-14 07:32:56
I literally just found a dead mouse in my boiler room. A black mass was sticking out the back end so i touched it with a wire and it crawled out. the exact same thing.

Kel wrote at 2012-03-31 19:14:05
We have 2 cats one of which loves to hunt any type of creature it can carry in his mouth from snakes to rats and beetles, he came up to the back porch with a small rat in mouth and played vigorously til it was dead, I watched in awe and seen what at first I thought was poop til it completely came out and saw what Doug had a picture of, just wanted to find out if that was common as well as attaching to body

Cyan wrote at 2012-08-29 02:37:39
My cat caught a field mouse today and I got him to drop it.  I watched a grub just like this emerge from what I would swear was the mouse's rectum.  At first I thought the mouse was oozing feces from the trauma caused by the cat.  Amazing.

T.L. wrote at 2013-08-13 07:49:06
That is an excellent photo.  I have caught a mouse in a live trap.  A bot fly larvae was attached to the rear of the mouse.  At first I thought the mouse was loosing its uterus or something because the object attached to the mouse was moving.  It then detached itself from the mouse and was worming around inside the live trap.  I tried to take photos but because I didn't want the mouse to escape I couldn't get a good photo.  I was creeped out by this parasite thinking it was some sort of Alien species......only to find out it is a bot fly larvae!  The mouse didn't seem to mind the larvae attached to it and didn't seem to notice when it became detached.  

Thanks. Tara

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad