Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Flat oval beige worm pod

Shirl wrote at 2011-09-07 16:55:05
Thanks Saugy! Spot on! I was searching the net and was having a hard time to describe what it was. Got lucky and found this posting.

Very informative and I took the advice!

I found a few of them in my toilet over the last few days and was starting to freak out.

They hang down below cabinets and creaks, cleaned them all out!

They vary in size and typically about 1cm. Found a huge one at 2cm maybe tats the mother!

Tanz wrote at 2012-01-21 11:21:08
I have seen these bugs too and I clicked on your link but the photo's that I saw aren't the same appearance as the one I've seen.  The ones that I have seen are smooth not all bumpy and the worm that I saw inside are big like the photo's either.  The picture above from Ed are the ones I've seen.  Are there different species maybe?

trinigirl wrote at 2012-04-20 18:05:12
this is a very wierd looking creature...i have been seeing this around the house for a while, but did not know what to type in the search or what to look for...finally today i typed, "flat worm in a brownish oval shaped casing" and i found this site...really glad i did...someone posted a pic of it on a white wall...that is how i recognized some good answers from u guys...this little creature grosses me out...

Sandy wrote at 2014-08-24 17:59:33
This creepy little pod has been "bugging" me for years. Initially only found in my bathroom. Now that i have moved an inside rug out to my patio, they are multiplying, and i see them constantly. I know of no one else that has these. They are a sight to watch, if you are board, as they are very slow moving. I want them GONE! Very flat, grayish in color, and tiny little wormlike head, at both ends of the oval shaped body.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.