Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Eggs on Ceiling??

Dwan wrote at 2010-06-25 00:33:02
I am so happy that I found this question!! I just found the same thing on my ceiling last week. It started out looking just like your picture. A few days later the dots turned into small lines and a few days after that it disappeared. I have wondered what it could have been and worried that harmful bugs of some kind could be in our house now. Thank you so much for your post and giving me somewhat of an answer. I really wish I knew what it was, but i feel better with the expert saying it is most likely not harmful.  

Dom wrote at 2011-07-17 14:55:27
Hi, I'm not sure what they are but I have the same ones on my window, they look exactly like that! I live in MA, USA.

Chris wrote at 2012-03-25 16:18:25

I too have the same problem occuring on my ceiling,looks exactly like Annies photo.I also cleaned it off taking texture from my ceiling as well.I think it is some kind of moth,as i have seen several in my home from opening my patio door,however i live in the South.Upon cleaning it,it seemed to be brown in color and almost slimy/wet leaving a brown residue on the rag i used to clean it off.I hope someone can give a definite answer on what this is.

Ouiser Boudreaux wrote at 2012-04-13 07:05:13
I have these on the stucco outside my house and one time I did see what they hatched into, hundreds of tiny caterpillars of nano size!  Die suckers!

Margaret wrote at 2013-06-01 13:02:50
We removed eggs with shop vac with soft brush attached.  They could be gently brushed and removed to the vacuum without damgaging the textured ceiling.  That was a relief.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.