Entomology (Study of Bugs)/House bug?

Question
Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
I have never seen this kind of bug ever. Could you p,ease help identify it please?

Stacie

Answer
Hi, Stacie:

Nice image, especially given the small size of this beetle!

This is a "click beetle" in the genus Aeolus :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/12607/bgpage

There are many species of click beetles in the family Elateridae.  They get their name from the habit of the adult beetles to snap a spine into a groove on their underside, making a clicking sound.  If the beetle is on its back, the force of the spine snapping into the groove can flip the insect quite high in the air, where it turns over and lands on its feet (or bounces it out of reach of a predator).

Look for more click beetles coming to your outdoor lights at night....maybe next year if you live in a cool climate.

Hope this helps!  Thanks again for sharing your find :-)

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton