Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Large mystery bee

Question
Large bee
Large bee  
I found a mysterious bee today that was very large. It was not very aggressive. I was a little surprised to see it outside on a day like today. It was very windy today and in the 50s. Hurricane Sandy made land fall south-southwest of us. We live in central New York and didn't get much rain, just a lot of wind. There were probably 10 bees in total and I managed to capture one for a photo. I measured it with a ruler and it was 1 inch. I did not harm it in case it was uncommon or endangered. Can you identify it for me? The white stripe in the photo is because of the flash of my phone. The front of the bee's body is black and red, while the back of the body is yellow and black striped.

Answer
Jared:

This is not a bee, but a true hornet, the "European Hornet," Vespa crabro .  Here is a link with more information:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/7230

Their nests should be winding down now, and queen hornets looking for a sheltered place to overwinter.  Workers and males do not survive the winter.  Queens will start new nests next spring.

By the way, I doubt a flimsy plastic bag would keep it from stinging you, if it is a female (queen or worker; males do not have stingers).  Be careful.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton