Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Could you please help me identify these bugs?

Question
Bug picture 1
Bug picture 1  

Bug picture 2
Bug picture 2  
These are 4 to 5 milimiters long

Not too fast

Don't jump nor fly

Don't seem to bite

I first found them in the kitchen, but now I am finding them in some closets

The have a semi-hard shell

I sprayed them with insect killer 30 minutes ago and the bugs are still alive! They don't seem to be affected at all.

Thank you

Answer
Adriana:

I am changing your question to "public" because you include nice images and I know there are many other people out there who probably have these insects in their pantry.

The insects are beetles in the family Silvanidae, known collectively as "flat bark beetles."

http://bugguide.net/node/view/13072

Here's a link about how to prevent and control them:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7452.html

The "sawtooth grain beetle" and "merchant grain beetle" are the likely species for what you are showing here.  Might be one or the other, or both.

It is important to find the source of the infestation, and discard the product.  Store all vulnerable foodstuffs in glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids.  Plastic bags and cardboard boxes offer little resistance to these insects.

It is entirely possible that the product was already infested when you purchased it.  Consider alerting your grocer so that they can contact the company that makes the product.  You might also ask for a refund, or a replacement for the damaged product.

Hope this helps!  I would *never* use any kind of chemical control in the kitchen, and avoid using them indoors at all.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton