Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Re: house flies

Question
Hi Jack,

I know you answered someone suspecting house flies of biting, and stated that it must have been stable flies.  But a friend was complaining of being bitten by flies that weren't biting the rest of us.  Is it possible that there are exceptions to the rule, for some reason, when it comes to house flies not biting?  Have you ever heard of it?

Ty

Answer
Ty,

House flies lack the type of mouthparts to bite. They have essentially a sponge that can only "mop up" liquids - no teeth or mandibles, so it is not possible for them to bite. Stable flies, however, look like house flies and do bite.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis