Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Scary bug

Question
moth-like bug with pincers
moth-like bug with pin  
Hello,

Can you tell me what bug this is? Over 3 inches or so. Looks like a moth with crab-like pincers. Really freaky!

Answer
Hello Jonathan,

It looks like a Giant Water Bug to me. They are one of the largest insects in the world. They are known to bite, but will not intentionally bite a human. I'd recommend you to contact an expert from your country for more info on the species of the specimen you have photographed.

You can visit http://thedragonflywoman.com/ the author of this website is a researcher especially dealing with the Giant Water Bugs from USA.

Hope this helps,

Ani

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Aniruddha Dhamorikar