Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider in NY

Spider october 27
Spider october 27  
Hello, my name is Ashley. I was hoping that you may be able to identify a spider I found. I found the spider today, October 27 2012. I found the spider in my bedroom on the wall. I live in central NY. It has a tan large body (maybe its pregnant?), black head, and red legs. I've never seen a spider like this before that I can remember. Also, is it possible that it's poisonous? Thank you for any help. :)

Hi Ashley
This is the woodlouse spider, Dysdera crocata. It feeds of woodlice or sowbugs. It is not usually found in a house unless you sowbugs in the basement. It has some sharp fangs that can penetrate the skin if you pick it up, which I assume you are not going to do. The venom is not dangerous to people.
It is most likely pregnant. Most spiders are female and usually carrying eggs

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ