Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What type of bug is this found on bedding?

Question
Bug Image 1
Bug Image 1  

Two dead bugs on white background
Two dead bugs on white  
We were changing our bedding this morning and found 12 of these little brown bugs on the pillows, under the sheets, and under the mattress.
They don't look like pictures I've seen of Bed Buds - Thank you on advance for your help.

Answer
Paul:

Thanks for including the images with your question.

The insects are *not* bed bugs, but "flour beetles" in the family Tenebrionidae, genus Tribolium .  I don't think you can tell the two species apart without examining specimens under a microscope.

Flour beetles are considered "stored product pests," so you need to find the source of the infestation, and then discard the item(s).  Store all vulnerable foodstuffs in glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids.  Here's more about their control:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/red_flour_beetle.htm

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/flour-beetle

http://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/v3/eafrinet/maize_pests/key/maize_pests/Media/

Those links should help you to find the source of the problem and eliminate it without need for chemical controls.  Remember dry pet food might also be a source...or birdseed.

Lastly, I would love it if you might send me your images.  That way I can write a blog post about this insect and help other people address their own problems with this pest.  Thank you for your consideration.  You would of course get proper credit for any images I use.

Sincerely,

Eric Eaton
bugeric24ATyahooDOTcom

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton