Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown bathtub insect

Question
close up of insect
close up of insect  

penny for scale and location
penny for scale and lo  
Hi, I'm in Eastern Pennsylvania.  Single family, detached home.  No other insect issues.  I found these tiny insects in my bathtub this week.  I've only found them in the upstairs bathroom tub (in the tub bottom and at the grout line).  I would add a third picture to show more of them if I could.  Any ideas what they could be?  They move slowly until I touch them, then they are quite quick!
The bathroom environment has not changed, other than the seasonal adjustments.

I sent the pictures to a pest control company and they said they looked like psocids, but I don't see enough similarities.

Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hi, Brian:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  Knowing how small these insects are, I am impressed with the quality of the pictures!

Sorry to hear that the pest control company misidentified them, but that often happens.  Pest Control Technicians are schooled more in the application of insecticides than in how to identify *what* they are spraying....

The creatures are "springtails," class Collembola.  They were formerly considered insects, but now are "non-insect hexapods."  Here's a link with more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/258362

The above is a l-o-o-o-ng page, so be sure to scroll down.

Not all springtails....spring!  Some don't jump at all.  They are not pests, but certainly can be a nuisance.  They likely graze on molds and mildews in the tub, shower, or basin, or in potting soil of houseplants, and other damp situations.  They are not tolerant of drought, and the best way to kill them is to literally dry them to death.  If they become a problem, consider a de-humidifier for the room where you see them.  You can also sprinkle a fine layer of diatomaceous earth where you see them.  Be careful if you have curious kids or pets, though.  DE is essentially pulverized glass.  It etches the cuticle of insects and related arthropods so that they leak water and die.

Hope this helps.  I've had them in my own shower in Tucson, Arizona when I lived there, so they are remarkably durable!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton