Entomology (Study of Bugs)/wolf spider?

My son has captured a wolf spider and has been feeding it.We live in BC. The spider has since made two egg sacs, one is adorned with dead bug carcasses and the other is not yet. She also has a sort of funnel she built for her home in the aquarium. The egg sacs are part of the web not attached to her. After reading about wolf spiders is this normal behavior for a captive wolf spider? I thought they carried their sacs. I'll send a picture if you wish but I don't have my camera at the moment. She is about 2" in diameter (with legs) and is dark brown with tan strips on the upper part and tan dots with narrow strips on the abdomen. Is she a wolf spider? There are loads of these coming inside as the temp outside has dropped. Thanks

No, this is not wolf spider behavior, so I suspect that the spider is not a wolf spider.  Perhaps it is a funnelweb weaver, like one of these?

Clicking the "browse" tab near the top of that page will give you images by genus.

There are several species there in British Columbia.

Hope this helps!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.