Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bugs in bed

Hi Ed, My husband found some eggs? in our bed that look like sesame seeds.  They are about 1mm wide and 2mm long. We searched the mattress and box springs and haven't found any bedbug poop or bugs.  We do have three cats.

Dear Wendy - Unfortunately, I cannot see any detail in your image that would allow me to make a definitive identification. They are about the right size and shape to be pupae of small muscoid flies, but those usually are much darker and have visible annulations - see http://tinyurl.com/cspthpl for an example. At least I can tell you that they have no relation whatsoever with bed bugs.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.