Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Butterfly Lacewing

Question
Unknown insect
Unknown insect  
QUESTION: Hi Walter,
I came across this beautiful insect whilst walking in the foothills of the Spanish Sierra Nevada mountains, Alpujarra valley.
The land was open scrub, small bushes and grass with sandy soil, very open and quite remote.  About 1000M altitude.
It was very hot but it had rained a few days previously.
I saw a number of these quite fast flying insects, about 1 every 100M2.  They were not easy to get close and did not keep still for long, but I caught one good snap.  
the length including the trailing 'wings' was about 4 inches.
I only saw them in the highest area a few miles wide, even though I walked all day through very similar countryside.
It looks very distinctive but I can't track down what it is and non of the locals seemed to know.
Can you identify this? I'd be very grateful.
Kind regards
Chris

ANSWER: Hi Chris
This gorgeous insect belongs to the Order Neuroptera and the Genus Nemoptera.
I believe it is a Nemoptera bipennis
The most  common name is the Butterfly lacewing.
Google Nemoptera and you will find more images

Other variety
Other variety  
QUESTION: Thank you Walter, that is very helpful.
May I trouble you with just one more?  This appears to be a variation but without the spoon wings, but again I'm having trouble tracking it down (I tend to do beetles usually).
I will spare you the rest of my pictures which are of various dragonflies eating dinner, in close-up!
Kind regards
Chris

ANSWER: This is another member of the Neuroptera but I do not believe it belongs to the Nemoptera. I can't se enough detail but I think it may be an antlion

zoom1
zoom1  

zoom2
zoom2  
QUESTION: Sorry, that's my poor photography.
These may be better.
Kind regards
Chris

Answer
The Order Neuroptera is one of the most diverse when it comes to variation. I am quite sure this is an antlion. It resembles the Orange Antlion ( Callistoleon) without an orange head.To identify species at this level requires an expert in the Neuroptera.
 It amazes me that these delicate little bugs were once that vicious larvae hiding in the sand hole.

Do not worry about pestering me with questions. Since joining allexperts I hv answered over 12500 questions

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz