Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What are these droppings???

droppings 1
droppings 1  

dropping 2
dropping 2  
They look like little dark brown sesame seeds and are about the same texture and are all over my floor in one room. I vacuumed then they accumulate again. This only began a few days ago.

Dear Bob - I'm afraid that I cannot see any detail in your images that would aid in identifying them. They do not appear to be insects, insect droppings, or rodent droppings. When I first read your description (and before looking at your images), I thought that they might be pupae of small flies. However, I cannot see any annulations on these objects that one would expect to see if they were  pupae. About all that i can suggest is that you take some of them to your county Cooperative Extension service office (see for contact links) to see if anyone there can be of assistance. These offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard garden pest problems.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.