Entomology (Study of Bugs)/grasshopper

Found grasshopper in Tucson, AZ.  I think it is likely a Chihuahaun Toad Lubber.  What should I feed it.  Photo attached for proper ID.  Thank you

I believe your identification is correct, though I doubt you found this in Tucson proper.  I lived there for ten years and never saw one on the valley floor.  This is a species of higher elevations....

Since I do not keep insects in captivity, I don't know what their dietary requirements are.  Many, if not most, grasshoppers are omnivorous, so you could even try a few fish flakes, and maybe a couple chunks of raw vegetables.

Also, try contacting Carl Olson, Associate Curator at the Department of Entomology at the University of Arizona.  Tell him I sent you, as we are good friends.  He is very knowledgeable about the local insect fauna there.

Good luck, thanks for sharing the cool find!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.