Entomology (Study of Bugs)/grasshopper

Question
none
none  
Found grasshopper in Tucson, AZ.  I think it is likely a Chihuahaun Toad Lubber.  What should I feed it.  Photo attached for proper ID.  Thank you

Answer
Virginia:

I believe your identification is correct, though I doubt you found this in Tucson proper.  I lived there for ten years and never saw one on the valley floor.  This is a species of higher elevations....

Since I do not keep insects in captivity, I don't know what their dietary requirements are.  Many, if not most, grasshoppers are omnivorous, so you could even try a few fish flakes, and maybe a couple chunks of raw vegetables.

Also, try contacting Carl Olson, Associate Curator at the Department of Entomology at the University of Arizona.  Tell him I sent you, as we are good friends.  He is very knowledgeable about the local insect fauna there.

Good luck, thanks for sharing the cool find!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton