Entomology (Study of Bugs)/illegal insect trade

Question
My question is this:

How much of the online trade of preserved insects is actually legal?  How much demand is there for rare (or endangered) insects?  I know that traders from developed countries sometimes supply poor locals in the tropics with blacklights, etc. and pay for jewel scarabs, for instance.

Is it a bad idea to purchase preserved insect material from opnline dealers?

(If you're wondering, I am an avid insect enthusiast and professional Entomologist.  I have taken part in biodiversity expeditions in the past, and also volunteered to help understand the fragility of Hawaii's endemic insects, as well as the plants they live amongst.  I keep a small collection, but tend to donate most of my specimens to academic organizations that support conservation efforts.)

Answer
Alex:

Very good question!  I have no idea, but I imagine there are places you can go to for a detailed answer:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regulates all commerce in preserved and living specimens.

U.S. Dept. of Agriculture governs import/export of live insects, including accidental import of potential pest species and beneficials to combat existing imported pests.

World Wildlife Fund is very aware of trade in animals and animal products.

Xerces Society might know something about the trade in insect specimens in particular, though that has not been their public focus to be sure.

Good for you on being a responsible collector.  I haven't purchased specimens lately myself, but I would trust BioQuip Bugs and Ianni Butterfly Enterprises to be responsible.  I cannot speak to others.

I'd love to take part in biodiversity expeditions, so feel free to let me know if you get wind of any!  Never been outside the U.S. for more than a day at a time (Mexico, Canada borders).

Eric
bugeric24ATyahooDOTcom

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton