Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect

Question
Bug
Bug  
Can you identify this insect? If you zoom in on the pic you can see more detail
The insect moves like a caterpillar had many legs and what looks like hair on the rear and its head is red and can go in and out of its body like a turtle

Michelle

Answer
Michelle,

This is the larva of a dermestid beetles, sometimes called carpet beetles. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for pictures. Nowadays the larvae most often infest stored foods but fabrics can be damaged as well. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis