Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider identfication

Question
Spider 1
Spider 1  

Spider 2
Spider 2  
Eric,
I live in Syracuse, NY and keep finding these spiders in my basement. I was wondering if you could tell me if they are harmful and what kind of spider they are, thank you for your time and information!

Jonathan

Answer
Hi, Jonathan:

"Spider 1....Spider 2...."  Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book :-)

Ok, the first spider is an Eastern Parson Spider, Herpyllus ecclesiasticus .  Here is a link to more information:

http://www.spiders.us/species/herpyllus-ecclesiasticus/

The other spider is some kind of wolf spider that I do not recognize (family Lycosidae).  Here's a link to more about those :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1967

Neither is dangerously venomous.  At this time of year, male spiders are wandering in search of mates, and possibly looking for snug places to overwinter.  Consider them free pest control for your home since they prey on insects that *could* be harmful.

Up there, the only confirmed dangerous spider would be the Northern Black Widow.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton