Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange Bug

Question
Top
Top  

Bottom
Bottom  
Hi! I've found three of these bugs in a bedroom. It's 1/8-1/4" long, has yellowish and black stripes. It wiggles like a snake and looks like it has several legs. A lot more than an insect. We have seen them climbing on walls in a bedroom. Thanks!

Answer
Leslie,

This is the larva of a dermestid beetle, also called carpet beetles. Larvae feed on a wide variety of stored foods, dry pet foods, and natural fabrics. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for pictures and control info. If you search you'll probably find the source of the beetles in stored or discarded food (a dog biscuit, for example, can feed a lot of these beetles!). Once the source is found just clean the area. No insecticides are needed.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis