Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny black eggs on my clothes

This is an answer you gave a while ago about some tiny black round eggs that were on a ceiling. I have recently found these eggs on some clothes I had packed at the top of my closet. They were in a basket with cotton clothes and a wool sweater. Unfortunately I destroyed them before thinking to take a picture. I have had tiny white moths in the past but have never come across these eggs before. They were also on bags of red cedar chips.
Any ideas of what they could be? Should I be concerned. I know one had hatched and there was a tiny (1/2 cm) white worm like thing. It had a black end on it.
Thank you in advance.

Dear Danielle - Without being able to see an image of the eggs in situ, I hesitate to guess at their identity. The only ones of any concern would be those of carpet beetles (see or clothes moths (see - these eggs would be soft and white in appearance. Should you see any more, please try to obtain a clear, close-up photo of them.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.