Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified bug

Question
Unknown bug 1
Unknown bug 1  

Unknown bug 2
Unknown bug 2  
I was taking out some Christmas ornaments today & I came upon some tiny little brownish-black insect. I found a lot of living ones inside a small Christmas candle. I noticed a lot were coming up from cracks on the side of the candles as well. As I started to go through the rest of my holiday ornaments, I noticed the same bugs on a lot of the fabrics. I was worried that these were bed bugs but they seem much more thin. Can you please help me identify this insect? How do I get rid of it & what are they caused by? Thank you so much!!

Answer
Dear Susie - First off, I can assure you that these are not bed bugs! The ones in the first image appear to be grain beetles in the genus Oryzaephilus (saw-toothed and merchant grain beetles); they will feed on an extremely wide variety of organic materials and often are pantry pests. See http://tinyurl.com/yl2hx6l for a fact sheet with more detailed information, including control measures. Some of the insects in in your second image may be something besides grain beetles, but the image is not clear enough for me to be certain. In any case, they do not appear to be serious pests of any kind.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad