Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Aphonopelma chalcodes

Question
Hi. I was wondering if there was some debate as to the identity of Aphonopelma chalcodes. Are there colour variations within the species? Or are there similar tarantulas within the genus that can cause confusion? I am trying to acquire breeding pairs and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Answer
 Hi Leigh
I am not sure about a debate among taxonomists but the desert tarantulas are quite varied in color patterns.  A.chalcodes is the Arizona blond tarantula. The Texas Brown A. hentzi is similar as are the Missouri Brown, the Mexican brown and the Oklahoma brown. I suppose the best bet would be to trust a dealer that you got the correct species.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz