Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bites and Bugs

Question
I have found small (approx 2 to 3mm) off white translucent bugs in my bed. I thought that perhaps i was dealing with bed bugs, as i am being mercelessly eaten alive too, but then found out that bed bugs don't have wings!?
These creatures that i have found, seem to have wings, just a single pair, higher up the body toward the head. They also have a soft exo-sceleton!?
I have looked at pictures of springtails, bed bugs in all their life cycles, dust mites, sand flaes, carpet mites (even though i do not have one carpet in my house) and countless other bugs, but can't find anything that looks like this!
I have sprayed my bed, bedding and clothing. Hot ironed the mattress, base and of course all other fabrics. I've applied insect repelant to my body, but still nothing works! The bites do look like typical bed bug bites, but i can't find any anywhere, or there discarded "shells"! I do find little black specks, the size of a pin head, in and around my bed!

My husband is not being bitten at all, but i am, and the bites leave scabs, as well as welts, they cover my legs, thighs and buttocks, arms, shoulders, stomach and sometimes back. It is unbearable and i find i am living off anti hystamines everyday!

Please help me, i am desperate!

Thank you,
Nadine

Answer
Nadine,

The white bugs with wings could be psocids, also called booklice. Booklice are not related to true lice and do not bite. The "bites" you are experiencing may not be bites at all but could be a reaction to something in the environment. It is very common for people to mistake a variety of skin lesions and medical conditions for bug bites. Here's a list of insects and mites that bite http://www.livingwithbugs.com/unknown_bug_bites.html and things that mimic bug bites. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis