Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug on my bathroom floor

Question
Batroom bug
Batroom bug  
Hello,

I live in a 1970's house in San Diego and I have a small infestation of bugs that I can't identify. They are tiny (<.24 inches long and < 1mm wide). They have antennae and appear black from far away but in the photo they look striped. They squish easily, do not jump and have no wings. I usually see them crawling along the base of my toilet or on the bathroom floor. Once, I saw one attempt to climb a wall in my sons room but it fell off. I can't figure out what they are. I really want to get rid of them. Please help me if you can.

Thank you so much,
Nancy

Answer
Hello Nancy,

The insect in the photo looks like an earwig. There are many species of earwig in CA, so it may look slightly different than others you may have seen. They can pinch if you handle them and scare them, but they usually don't. They are not dangerous. You can vacuum them or sweep them up. They like moisture so I would suggest eliminating any unnecessary moisture in your home. For example, make sure to air out laundry rooms or bathrooms when they get steamy and hang up moist towels and rags. Also, sometimes earwigs live in potted plants with moist soil. There are some traps you can purchase for earwigs, but I have never used them so I can't say how well they work. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger