Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification

Question
Taken12-5-2012
Taken12-5-2012  
Dear Mr. Saugstad,

I recently found this bug crawling up my leg on my pants and trapped it in a container to take a better picture of it. Trying to get as detailed of a shot as I could. I live in South Western Kansas, USA.

Is this a bed bug? It is about the size of a grain of rice. It has plates like a cockroach would have, but hope it won't be a roach or a bed bug. The insect is quick and it's body is fairly thin even though it is round as in circle shape, but not in thickness.

I've also seen a few of these in the past as well. Always freak thinking they are bed bugs or a type of roach, mainly due to their color and plates.

Answer
Dear Lauren - This does, unfortunately, appear to be a bed bug (please note that some bird and bat bugs can be very similar in appearance, but they too will feed on humans when their normal hosts are absent). See http://tinyurl.com/5l5y95 for a very comprehensive fact sheet on these insects, it is about the best I've seen available on the web.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad