Entomology (Study of Bugs)/should i go to the emergency room

Question
ok. my cat came in covered in these things. they crawl and i think jump. they are hard to see, but i wear glasses and when i look thru them to my hair i see these "bugs". theres really nothing to them. they seem to be an outline of a face, i cant really see any body but what i do see is an outline of white for the eyes, the nose, and the whiskers. they also grow quickly. they were teeny, then grew to about a half an inch. i straightened my hair a couple of days ago and got rid of some, but theyve started to hide in my ears and maybe other places. now i have another round of the baby ones again. its an outline of white for the eyes, snout, and whiskers.

Answer
Dear Judith:

Promise me that you will read my entire answer before thinking that I am dismissing your questions and concerns.  You must understand I am sympathetic to your plight.  That said, here goes....

This is a classic case of a malady that goes by the unfortunate name of "delusory parasitosis," whereby a person PERCEIVES that insects or mites are biting them, crawling under their skin, infesting their hair, or otherwise causing sensations and symptoms when no such organisms are present.

The diagnosis should NOT be interpreted as mental illness, that the person is "crazy," or otherwise has compromised mental faculties.  The sensations are real and should be interpreted as a physical manifestation of some physical nervous system disorder.

As luck would have it, I received in my in-box two links that pertain to this discussion:

http://www.morgellons.org/docs/Collembola.pdf

http://www.insectscience.org/9.03/i1536-2442-9-03.pdf

I wish I had even more expertise in this matter because questions like yours cross my desk with some degree of frequency.  I am embarrassed that so many entomologists and dermatologists either ignore such requests or try to pacify them in a condescending manner.

This is all I can offer at this time.  My sincerest best wishes for a good outcome to this.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton